Sunday, March 16, 2008

Graduate School!

Today's post has very little to do with Tanzania, but for me is one of the most exciting days in quite a while. Yesterday I was informed by my dad that I have been accepted into the graduate photography program at the Pratt Institute of Art in Brooklyn! I couldn't be more excited! I have been waiting to hear back from the school for months, at this point I cant even remember what i wrote in my essay or what I put in my portfolio that I sent with my application. Whatever it was it must have worked.

For months I have been getting e-mails from the school, but always they have been about information sessions or the application process. Every time I opened them was a huge let down. Until finally yesterday I go to check my mail before bed (roughly 9:00, Friday night was a bit over the top so every one was turning early on Saturday) and see one new e-mail from dad with the tag "Pratt your in." Of course I tried to open it immediately and the home base computer took an eternity of 45 seconds to bring it up.

It's so nice to finally know what I will be doing next in life. I have applied a couple times to grad school since completing my undergrad and been rejected both times. If this hadn't worked I may not have applied again for a while, but now I don't have to worry about that. Now I can worry about loans and subway schedules. All things being even, I'll take the loans and subways.

No, Sleep, Till Brooklyn!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow congrats man! I'm really happy for you, I know you had been trying for awhile so it's nice to know that you made it. Does that mean you'll be moving to the city now, or does that mean that you'll be taking the train in? Lol nice touch with the beastie boys reference btw.

-Jorge

Colleen M said...

Allen we are so proud of you! We know that you will shine in graduate school. Everyone who comes to our home enjoys your pictures of the kids. You have a gift of capturing their real personalities. Have a safe and wonderful time. See you soon!!!
Love Col, Scott, Shan and Josh

Volare said...

Hi Allen!
I was going to ask you via facebook what grad program, but then I saw you have a blog and thought maybe you would've written about it. So, now I know where you'll be at! Pratt-That's some pretty exciting stuff. I love Brooklyn and I'm sure you're going to enjoy it (and Pratt) as well.
Congratulations!
Alejandra