Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Letters to America






Since the semester testing is done there isn't much for the children to do for this week. So today I was able to turn the standard three and four children's English lesson into a letter writing lesson. My aunt Beth had given me a bunch of letters written by her class to my students, and I have been waiting for an opportunity to give them to my kids. They were very excited.




Because my students are at a range of levels some were able to write a very well composed letter by themselves, while other's needed constant help in the process. Over all though I am very happy with how well the letters came out. Tonight I will go through them and add periods and comma's where needed, not to change what the kids said, just to make it a little clearer.




This morning was rainy, and because of that there were a few extra students from higher grades at the school. I'm not sure exactly why the rain caused that, but I believe it has to do with the distance children walk to school combined with muddy roads. Our head master's own daughter came today even though she is in standard five and our school only go's to standard four. The older students of course wrote some of the best responses. Because there are only about 13 students in the three and four classes combined, and I had about thirty letters to respond to, I let several of the students write a second letter. When they were done I gave them all stickers (these children love stickers) and most of them put the stickers on the letters.




All and all, it was a good day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.