Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Just a little sick

So on Sunday I went to bed with a slightly upset stomach, I took some ant-acids and went to bed with the expectation of waking up feeling much better in the morning. When I did wake up in the morning, some time around 2 am I would guess, I was decidedly not feeling better. I was very hot and had a bad head ache. I spent the whole morning tossing and turning. When I tried to stand up I would get very dizzy, and only managed to get up once to get an advil from my bathroom. It helped a little.

I slept for most of the morning, well, I dozed for most of the morning, trying not to move to much. I thought I may have had the flu, it's flu season here and it has been going around. In the afternoon, because I was not getting any better, I went to the hospital. They drew some blood and quickly told me that I had malaria. The nurse gave me a shot of medicine because they were afraid that I would throw up the pills. The shot did help, and I slept much more soundly last night.

I went back to the doctor this morning for a check up, and they discovered that not only do I have malaria, but I also have ameba's in my stomach. This at least is not a very big deal, and the doctor offered to let me finish my malaria medication before starting the amoeba medication. I decided to take the amoeba pills now though, because I want to be healthy as soon as possible, and the doctor said there is nothing wrong with taking them both at once.

So now I take 5 pills a day to keep my fever down, 8 pills a day for the malaria, 9 pills a day for the amoebas, and 2 pills a day to keep my stomach settled. That's 24 pills a day if my math is right. It's not so bad as it sounds, and the medicine is working already. By tomorrow or Thursday I should be well enough to go back to school for at least a couple more days. I hope so anyways. It would be sad if I didn't get to see the kids one more time before I leave.

No comments: