Friday, May 23, 2008

The Walk to School




Now that I am out of CCS and on my own in Moshi it means that I have to walk to school in the mornings. I've walked every day this week and will for my next, and last, week as well. It takes about half an hour to get from my hotel in down town Moshi to the school which is in a section of town called Pasua. Though Pasua is one of the poorer areas of town I feel completely safe walking in the morning, and even keep my passport and plane tickets with me because I feel safer to have them on me than to leave them in my hotel room. The walk itself is rather interesting, and I think worth describing.

I get up about the same time here as I did at CCS, about 6:30, just as the sun is coming up. I shower, put on my school clothes (kackies and a button down shirt) and go upstairs for breakfast in the roof top restaurant. From the fourth floor of the Kindoroko I drink my coffee, which is excellent, and look out over Moshi town. The mornings lately have been very overcast, and yesterday and today it was actually raining out as I left for school.


The first third of my walk is down the Double Rd., which is the closest thing to main st. that Moshi has. The pavement makes for a quick walk with out much mud or many puddles, and I usually make good time. When the Double Rd. ends however, and by end I mean that the pavement ends and it turns to dirt, is when the walk becomes a bit more challenging. The mud is thick, sticks to your shoes and builds up to a nice layer so that the bottom of your shoes don't actually touch the road. What is amazing is that the Tanzanians are able to walk along these roads with out getting a speck of mud on their pant leg's, and in most cases with out it even getting on their shoes. As hard as I try I always end up with at least a bit of mud on my pant cuff's and my shoes are a lost cause.

There are several interesting things that I see along the way. The end of the Double Rd. is where most of the auto mechanics in Moshi are located and outside their shops are bits and pieces of cars. Later on down the dirt road in fact there is what appears to be an elephants graveyard of old Dala-dala buses. In the background I can hear a team of blacksmiths pounding on the metal to reshape it into new pieces. Also on the dirt road is a fenced off field of mostly mud these days, and in the field are these huge birds that just sort of hang out. I don't know what kind of birds they are, though they look like large storks, or why they are always there. I have seen them in flight and know they could fly away if they wanted to, but they are always there.

It's an interesting walk and I enjoy it for the most part, thought I do not mind hitching a ride back to town on the CCS bus when it comes to get the other volunteers. I wish the mornings would be dryer so that I didn't have to wear my boots that pinch my feet just slightly, and so that I could see Kili a few more times before I leave. It's hard to believe that I only have eight more days here and then its back home again. It will be good to come home, but I will miss Moshi very much.

No comments: